There is no doubt the Canon 1D C is in a league of its own.
What we’ve always wanted of the 5D, yet the functions and form factor close to our beloved EPIC, this camera makes you wonder – what can’t I do with it?
Following the reviews and articles by both Shane Hurlbut (http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2012/04/the-next-gen-in-digital-film-capture-canons-4k-1dc/)and Philip Bloom (http://vimeo.com/58263312) we too were excited and couldn’t wait to get our hands on it.
It was exactly 6 days ago when we got a demo unit and gave it the old camera assistant’s ISO test.
We set up one 1K Lowel light, started at ISO 160 at 1/50 sec 24fps 4K.
From there we went up on ISO and bracketed our Aperture to account for even exposure.
We closed down to F16 and even then, had to bump our Shutter Speed to 1/100 sec to expose for 25600 ISO.
The noise is practically gone at the lower ISO settings, and even the highest ISO is subtle and pleasing to the eye.
Comparing Neutral and Canon Log Color Spaces, the results are insane.
Coupled with our new 27” Retina iMac Fusion and USB 3.0 card reader, this is like our RED DIT Cart shrunk down to Hobbit Status.
4K is clean, baby. No more jaggy edges and compression blocks often resulting from H.264 acquisition. Looks like the dawn of Motion Jpeg for capture.
If you’re looking for that ‘big look,’ but require the flexibility and crew size similar to a stills shoot – this is the camera for you!
NOW AVAILABLE at ADC DIGITAL for your next project.
- Canon 18.1 Megapixel Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
- 4K Motion JPEG YCbCr 4:2:2, 8-bit video recording
- Full HD Recording and Super 35mm Crop Mode
- Dual DIGIC 5+ Image Processors
- Canon Log Gamma
- HDMI Output with Time Code
- Compatibility with EF Cinema and EF Lenses
- Built-In Headphone Terminal
- WFT-E6A Wi-Fi® Unit With Remote Capabilities
- Fully Featured 12.0 fps, 18.1 Megapixel Full-Frame DSLR Camera